The National Energy Board (NEB) is now accepting Applications to Participate in its hearing of an application to grant approvals to construct Transcanada’s Energy East Pipeline.
This post gives some details of the project, application to participate and participant funding but does not substitute for a full reading of the NEB information and requirements. Click here for further information.
The application is for a 4,500 km crude oil pipeline system from receipts points in Alberta and Saskatchewan to delivery points in Quebec and New Brunswick, comprised of both new oil pipeline facilities and existing natural gas pipeline facilities to be converted from gas to oil service
The project would include:
- Converting an existing natural gas pipeline to an oil transportation pipeline;
- Constructing new pipeline in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Québec and New Brunswick to link up with the converted pipe; and
- Constructing the associated facilities, pump stations and tank terminals required to move crude oil from Alberta to Québec and New Brunswick, including marine facilities that enable access to other markets by ship.
Those who wish to participate in the hearing for the Energy East Project must apply to participate using the Application to Participate (ATP) form. The ATP form is available from 3 February – 3 March 2015.
Funding is available through the NEB’s Participant Funding Program to help support the timely and meaningful participation of people interested in reviewing and commenting on the Energy East Project and who qualify for participation and funding.
To be considered to receive funding, you must:
- submit an Application for Participant Funding; and
- submit an Application to Participate and be accepted as an Intervenor in the Board’s hearing process for the Energy East Project.
There are two phases of Participant Funding for the Energy East Project:
- The funding deadline for the first phase is 23 February 2015 and provides funding for Intervenors for activities leading up to the submission of evidence.
- The funding deadline for the second phase is 27 July 2015 and provides funding for Intervenors to test evidence, to prepare and submit final argument and to prepare for and attend any portion of the oral component to the hearing.